I’ve been thinking about how to word this post, because I’ve always been a less is more person, and I honestly believe a newborn needs NOTHING but a mothers arms and feeding.
But with that being said, we borrowed a ton of luxury things from a friend with Ayla that really gave us the opportunity to try everything but use what is essential, and even after having Ayla there was a few things I knew I never used, and some things that we’ve been using every single day. And I made excel lists of our most used items and things I wish I had and saved it so needless to say… this time I had a short list. But an almost non negotiable list of things I want for baby nr2 (AGAIN, you need NONE of these things) so don’t think I’m being super bougie here, we’re not. Some of the things I purchased while I already had Ayla but didn’t have from the start and other things I bought for baby nr2.
I think what makes our situation unique is also that we will have two babies 15 months apart, so a lot of these purchases was also out of a “this will make our lives easier” view point. You probably won’t need all of this for your first child.
Things we borrowed with Ayla and loved and decided to repurchase:
- Nuture one pillow (she STILL sleeps with her’s very night, she loved loved loved this as a new born) https://bit.ly/36o4zjF
- Electric baby swing (We bought ours at Baby city, no real thought behind it. It just had to be automatic, fit on our dinner table so that it is out of reach for A, I wanted a neutral grey color and we spontaneously bought this one) https://www.babycity.co.za/product/ingenuity-convertme-swing-2-seat-raylan/
Things I got when Ayla was older, but wish I had right from the start.
- Ubuntu baba https://ubuntubaba.com/
- Manual breast pump https://bit.ly/3LFsLOC
- Lansinoh nipple cream from the start 🙈 https://clicks.co.za/lansinoh_lanolin-nipple-cream-40ml/p/191101
- Breast milk catcher (I got this one at Clicks, looks just like the haakaa or mooka that I borrowed with Ayla. I’ll have to try it out first though and they don’t have it on the website)
- Maternity wear, I wish I just started wearing it sooner. It’s a must have for maternity and post partum as well. (I bought a ton from Cherry Melon and just dresses from everywhere, Mr.Price & H&M. https://www.cherrymelon.co.za/?gclid=CjwKCAiAgbiQBhAHEiwAuQ6BkpANukP72ZRy6MO5TS-J9dGX8x4Fb2zR17r-iUrCDO0ZYCmE9xNejRoCBigQAvD_BwE
- Lounge wear for hospital and recovery at home. You want to be extremely comfortable but also not feel like a slob. I’ve stocked up on lounge wear and tracksuits this time, you have no idea. That will be my wardrobe for the rest of this pregnancy and the whole winter. Again, stocked up at H&M, Woolworths, Superbalist and Cherry Melon. https://www.cherrymelon.co.za/?gclid=CjwKCAiAgbiQBhAHEiwAuQ6BkpANukP72ZRy6MO5TS-J9dGX8x4Fb2zR17r-iUrCDO0ZYCmE9xNejRoCBigQAvD_BwE
Third, things I wish I had with A, that we got this time:
- Love to dream swaddles https://www.takealot.com/love-to-dream-swaddle-up-original-grey-s-3-5-6-kg/PLID42257054
- Baby monitor (Game changer, I don’t know how we managed 14 months without it) https://babywombworld.co.za/product/bww603-video-baby-monitor-with-audio/
- Dockatot (Absolute dream come true having one of these) https://dockatot.co.za/
- Playmat and not a carpet (carpets are so unpractical with babies) https://sadiekids.co.za/
- White noise machine https://dreamydays.co/collections/white-noise-machine-dream-pod
- Breast feeding pillow (my mom is making me one)
- Feeding chair (we didn’t have space in our old place so I am super excited to have a designated breastfeeding corner this time) Also having this made.
- Woolworths feeding bra’s (I had the H&M ones last time and they were rubbish, but I struggled for a while to get my size from Woolworths, so when you see them in stock in your size, grab it!) https://bit.ly/3LRM87g
- H&M cross body vests, I stocked up on these since I found out I was pregnant. And zip baby grows. I’m not going to struggle to get stuff over his head this time 🙈
- Bibs dummies, we had 14 dummy brands last time, and then she finally took the bibs one, but she was older so had no attachment to it. This time I want to try bibs from the start/6 weeks.
- Night light – this was such a good baby shower gift and is so helpful at night. This one separates into the owl and you can carry the egg with you. It’s so cute. https://www.takealot.com/tommee-tippee-penguin-2-in-1-night-light/PLID68036249?gclid=CjwKCAiA6seQBhAfEiwAvPqu19Hcos4R0KIUS1ZU4CrCQ6G9U6C4i2lSyi9TvYtXdie_9u9xoqDzixoCSsoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Things we had the first time that we won’t be using again:
- Moses basket (Ayla outgrew it in 3 months)
- Electric breast pumps (they never fully “latched” right and I never got much milk out. And the sound traumatized me 🤣
- Baby bath, we’re rather getting the Angel care bath seat. We don’t have space to store a separate bath. (Also look around for prices, I think it’s the cheapest at Baby city, and take a lot the most expensive for the same thing) https://www.toysrus.co.za/baby-bath-support-blue
- Soft material baby wraps. (I needed to watch a YouTube tutorial every time I wanted to use it, and by that time A was hysterical already anyway. I think I used it 2-3 times. Also only convenient when they are tiiiiiny. As soon as they get too heavy the material is too stretchy. And they are not really ergonomic either so I prefer a more sturdy carrier that supports your lower back. This will be my first time putting a new born in a Ubuntu though so let’s see how it goes.
I think that is pretty much it, like I said. You don’t need ANY of this, it’s mostly just a tried and tested list. What worked for us, what didn’t, what we would do differently or the same. Either way, you will figure it out as you go.
Let me know if you have any questions about any of the products 🙂